Saturday, November 04, 2006

Pull the other one...

Are you sitting comfortably, I hope so because by the time I've finished telling you about my leg you won't be lol

Actually surprise surprise it wasn't half as bad as I was expecting, a tad sore and I look like I've been beaten with a stick for a couple of hours but apart from that ok.

As you can imagine the last week has been interesting for me I've been hobbling around like a cripple with my old walking stick trying to get the required 1000 steps a day in, with such a sore leg it was a case of loose clothing and frequent rests.

I've taken the opportunity to visit my favourite Cafe a couple of times (Tres Gourmet 227 Lower Addiscombe Rd) and as you would expect they were very solicitous, they've taken to outside catering now and next time I have a party I'll be giving it a go, of course I'll let you know.

As part of my pre op I was instructed to lose weight, no surprise there for those of you who know me, and as usual I asked how I was supposed to achieve that, I've been overweight for 40 years ! My consultant shrugged and recommended the GI diet and I'm here to tell you that it's not bad.

Ok so most of you won't need to lose weight, you can skip on to the next bit, but those of you who do listen up, the GI diet works and it's easy to follow and doesn't leave you feeling hungry, in fact I struggle to eat all the food I'm supposed to on this diet !

In 12 days, including a trip to hospital and recovering ever since I've lost 4 lbs, ok not earth shattering I know but considering I couldn't do any exercise for 5 days and have been sitting around quite a bit I don't think that's bad.

I can heartily recommend the diet and I'll keep you posted.

Ok so what was the service like at the hospital I hear you ask, well you knew I'd be talking about it.

Despite it being a BUPA establishment I was disappointed in the customer care on the day, I arrived at 6:25am having been instructed to be there by 6:30am and was asked to wait by a polite young night porter.

Other patients started arriving and by 6:30am there were 4 of us waiting to be admitted, the staff nurse arrived at 6:35am and told us that they were short handed because one nurse was off sick and asked us to wait till we were called.

At 6:45am we were collected and taken to the ward by the staff nurse who pointed us into our rooms and told us to make ourselves comfortable.

Eventually she came back and took my details, filled in some forms and dumped a gown and plastic pants on the side for me.

We waited and waited and at last it was time for my operation, I got changed and hopped onto the trolley when it came, taken up to the operating theatre I was duly knocked up, sorry out, and woke up some time later in the room.

Very groggy after the general anaesthetic I asked for a drink and something to eat, I expected something nice but what I got was something bland, I'd ordered a tuna fish sandwich and a yoghurt, the sandwich was dry and the yoghurt was warm.

The tea was warm and wet so at least I could wet my now very dry mouth.

I was in some pain so the staff nurse gave me two pills which knocked me out for a few hours but eventually I was well enough to go home.

I rang my good friend Neil who came and picked me up and took me home.

I can't say that anyone there was actually rude but it was all a bit brusque, I felt like a cash cow being milked rather than a patient being treated, now maybe they were stressed because they had a nurse off sick but it's in times of adversity that we are given the opportunity to really shine.

It's in times of adversity that we are given the opportunity to really shine.

I haven't named the hospital concerned because otherwise I've received excellent customer service there and this experience may have been an anomaly.

Have a great time and I’ll catch you next week when I’m back at work.

John
www.ffriar.com

No comments: