Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Costs Benefits and Verisimilitudes

Because of the atmosphere in which I work I have developed a back complaint, fortunately I have caught it early and am undergoing physio-terrorism to get it back to how it should be, it's a painful process and it's reminded me of the cost of employment.

When you come to think about it being employed costs you a lot of money, all of the following would not be required if it wasn't for work and I'm sure you can think of a few others

  • Work Clothes
  • Commuting Costs (season ticket car purchase fuel road tax parking etc.)
  • Work Hair Cuts
  • Appalling Coffee from the vending machine
  • Canteen Lunches
  • Assorted Presents (leaving birthday baby etc.)
  • Work Related Outings (drinks meals bowling etc.)
  • Work Contracted Illnesses (beechams powders night nurse strepsils etc.)


Not to mention intangible costs such as.

  • Work time
  • Commuting time
  • Time shopping for work related goods
  • Lost sleep worrying about work
  • Relationship issues around work
  • Stressful relationships at work
  • Injuries directly attributable to work (RSI Slips Trips and Falls Silicosis etc.)

Ok ok, I'm not suggesting we all give up work tomorrow, heaven forbid, but it does us good to remember that there are hidden costs to what we do for a living as well as the rewards.


A friend of mine was recently offered a job by one of his clients and he was agonizing over whether to take it or not, when he sat down and tried to work out how much he should ask for he was surprised to realise just how valuable his current employment benefits were.


Once he'd taken into account the difference in holiday entitlement, pension benefits, flexi-time, charity-leave, car allowance etc. he realised that the job offer of beating his current salary by a couple of thousand a year wasn't quite as good as he'd first thought.


And this goes as counter argument to my first point, in that we may not be overjoyed to go into work every day and the hidden costs may be extortionate but the hidden benefits could be making our whole package much greater than we imagine.


This week I complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the broadband ads currently doing the rounds that claim unlimited downloads, subject to a fair use policy.


www.asa.org.uk/asa


I hate it when people misuse the language so blatantly and pointed out to them that unlimited meant without limits and that making something unlimited and subject to a limit was a direct contradiction in terms.

Surprisingly I received a reply, only two days later, explaining that I was one of many to complain and that the ruling had been made that as long as the amount of people affected by the restriction was limited then companies were allowed to use the term unlimited.


As you know dear reader I have a love of the English language and this blatant disregard for accuracy really sets me into, to coin a phrase, dander erectus mode.


How many more inaccuracies are we going to allow; safe streets, honest politicians, accurate reporting, unbiased press, fair taxation...?


Oh I see your point :(


On a personal note I'm happy to report the diet is working and I've now lost 6lbs in a little over 4 weeks, to be honest I don't feel like I'm depriving myself and I cheat a lot ! I'm now playing badminton twice a week which is helping and the physio-terrorism is stopping the chest pains that were worrying me so much.

Take care till next time.

John Anslow

FFriar.com

No comments: