Thursday, June 01, 2006

Two Lattes and an almond croissant

Every week I make it a point of popping down to a cafe not very near me for the above order, it's called Tres Gourmet and it's on the Lower Addiscombe Road in Croydon.

Why do I hear you ask ?

Well you know me, I'm going to tell you anyway :)

It's the quality of customer service that drags me back as well as the quality of the goods, ok I will admit that their almond croissant is fabulous but their coffee isn't any better than anyone else using a Gaggia machine's so let's examine what's so good about their service.

When I walk in with my wife whoever is serving looks up smiles and says hello, if it's the boss he tends to say welcome back and makes some other comment before asking what we'd like, when I give my order he asks me if I've tried such and such an item, would my wife like something etc. and when I have assured him that that is what I want he asks me to be seated and offers to bring my order to my table.

My order arrives in due course placed carefully on the table and a further enquiry made as to whether I require anything else before we are left to enjoy.

My wife and I sip our drinks and share our croissant, well I eat most of it and she has a nibble as she's always on a diet, and we chat, read the complimentary papers, I tend to people watch, relax and generally enjoy our trip.

When we are ready to go, assuming we don't give in and have another coffee or "just a smidgeon of that wonderful looking carrot cake" I carry our used crockery to the checkout and pay.

Whoever serves me enquires whether I was satisfied and asks if I want to take anything home before dealing with the bill and finally as we leave we are fare-welled, ooh did I just make up a word?, we leave smiling.

The place is clean, the tables regularly cleared, the offering varied and fresh, it sits on the corner of a not very inspiring street.

Not so very different from a number of places I hear you say, no indeed but here is the interesting part what else do they have in common?

They are all busy :)

The boss of this little coffee shop, and if he carries on like this I don't expect him to end up with just one, has learnt one important lesson, and with the risk of repeating myself hanging Damocles like over my head "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"


Next time: The Icing on the bun

John Anslow
http://www.service-computers.com/

No comments: