Friday, June 16, 2006

It's not our fault...

Arghhhhhhh I hate banks !!!!

I was going to talk about self-service today but I have had a fairly typical example of poor customer service that I thought I'd share with you.

I have 4 bank accounts with Nat West that I control on-line, I keep most of my money in my savings account and transfer it around as I need to.

Last week I transferred enough money to cover my credit card direct debit on the due day, yesterday I got a letter informing me that there wasn't enough money in my account and that my DD had been refused, oh and btw we're charging you £38 to tell you!

When I contacted my credit card company MBNA they told me that they would be charging me £50 late payment charge and £45.90 interest !!!

Needless to say I queried this with the bank and they calmly informed me that I should have transferred the money the day before and that even though the transfer appears on my account in the same dark blue as the debit, one is processed the day before, after I expressed dissatisfactionion with this they grudgingly agreed to refund the £38 but stated that as it wasn't their fault they wouldn't refund the £45.90.

My credit card company MBNA did agree to refund the £50 but also refused to do anything about the £45.90 interest charged as it wasn't their fault.

So it has cost me £45.90 to learn to transfer money the day before it's due to be paid out of my account.

Now I may have given you the impression that I learnt all this in one or two calls, in actual fact it took 14 phone calls and two hours to get that far.

I then put in a complaint via Nat West's web site detailing my trial and tribulations and a very nice lady rang me only a few hours later to inform me that "as it wasn't their fault they wouldn't refund the £45.90. "

My conclusions:

1. Always transfer funds the day before you need them
2. Banks have a poor attitude to customer care
3. Don't expect to resolve any issues quickly or painlessly

Now I'm not a vindictive guy but sheesh !

I am now in the market for a new Credit Card company and a new bank, recommendations please?

Next week I really will do Self-service is no service

John Anslow
http://www.service-computers.com/

No comments: