Friday, June 22, 2012

Get going and get smart

I don't claim to be an expert, just an interested amateur but I do have a certain amount of experience to share and here is one secret for customer service I learnt a long time ago.

S = Smile
M = Make Eye Contact
A = Attend
R = React
T = Thank You

Imagine going to a counter in your local shop and getting that treatment, ok now imagine getting that treatment at every shop, ok now try and stop smiling ;)

If you are lucky enough to be in contact with the general public in any service capacity try this out, you'll be amazed at just how effective it is, once you've found out, try telling your colleagues about it, spread the word, create a revolution in your own workplace, dare ya !

Why should I ? I hear you say, well do it for selfish reasons if you like, if you follow this simple mantra you will:

  • Do more
  • Do it easier
  • Enjoy it more

Don't believe me?

Say you work in sales, every day you go in an grind your way through 8hrs of "customers bloody customers" until the end of your shift, you get a measly 30 mins for lunch and maybe a 15 min tea break and all for minimum wage.

Sounds horrid, how does this sound?

You go in every day and work 8 hrs meeting hundreds of smiling people and help them get what they want, time flies so much that you almost always forget to take your lunch break until you're reminded by the supervisor and just yesterday you spent your tea break helping a little old lady called Mabel get round the store for her weekly shop.

Well I know which sort of day I'd like.

Still not convinced?

Try this one small test then, Smile, really smile at the next three people you meet, bet you see a change in them and bet you feel a change in you too.

Remember nothing will change if you do nothing about it so take a chance and give it a go, I'd love some feedback on how it goes for you.

John Anslow

6 comments:

abacnok said...

John, one thing I always did was to say "Good morning" the entire day. This would get a laugh out of many of the people I helped and many would ask me why I did it. Simple. At the end of the day you are still saying "Good morning" to everyone and suddenly your day is over, and so soon.

John Anslow said...

What a great idea, thanks for sharing that with me I'll try it on Monday :)

The Bohemian Gazette said...

Our actions create our realities. If we act positively, we create a positive reality and benefit as much as everyone around us. Great article!

John Anslow said...

How true that is thanks :)

Jan Kaptein said...

Great advice in this article John!
It's true that if you present yourself positive and polite to your public/customers/collegues that it works contagious in positive sence and the same way if you position and act negative, your public starts to react negative to. Have fun in your life/work and start smiling!

John Anslow said...

Absolutely Jan, thanks for positive response :)