Tuesday, January 16, 2007

How to resign

“Take your job and stick it where the sun don’t shine” might be tempting but “so long and thanks for all the fish” makes much better sense.

I'm pleased to announce that I recently got a new job and I’m looking forward to starting it in February.

The good news, however, did raise the awkward issue of how to resign from my current position without succumbing to the above temptation.

I have resigned in many ways throughout my interesting career.

A particularly memorable resignation came when I knocked the company owner’s son into a pool of his own piss – he took the ‘wet floor’ sign literally by passing water on a floor I’d mopped to prove his power over me.

In my latest job though, it was just a straightforward resignation.

That’s not to say I haven’t had issues with my current job. Let’s face it, if I’d been entirely happy I wouldn’t have been looking, so the opportunity to put them down in writing knocked twice and rang the doorbell.

I could have detailed the reasons for my resignation at some length with dates and timings where appropriate. I could have explained where I was failed, put upon, abused etc. but looking at it with the benefit of experience I decided not to.

The temptation to get it all off your chest is immense; all those petty insults and real or imagined sleights, the passed over promotions or unreasonable behaviours are just demanding that you give them an airing now that you haven’t got anything to lose.

So why then did I choose to hand in a resignation letter thanking my boss for her kind attentions and the company for its care when what I really wanted to say was something far more accurate?

There’s an old saw that bears repeating:

“Don't burn your bridges behind you”

It is indeed a small world, I have lost count of the number of ex-colleagues I have encountered over the years, some who have gone on to be more successful than me and some who have not but all with a tongue in their mouths and some influence in their work places.

I have got and not got, jobs based on recommendations from these ex-colleagues.

I highlighted that because it’s the primary reason not to let fly with your reasons, no matter how good or well supported they may be.

The second reason is that your employer has invested time and money in its staff. The higher the position of that member of staff the greater the investment. Who then do you think they are going to back when a dispute arises, even more so, when one part of that dispute is disappearing and the other part will remain?

Use that most valuable tool in your survival pack and put yourself in your employer’s position: would you stir up trouble with a supervisor/manager/director/whatever when the problem is removing itself anyway?

I can see the light of realisation in your eyes and the slump of acceptance in your shoulders – don’t be too downhearted however, you are moving onwards and upwards and the people you are leaving are not your problem any more.

I’m afraid I’ve some bad news for you.

When you get to where you are going there will be more (insert collective derogatory term here) there and you will have to deal with them. The trick of the game is to develop yourself to such an extent that the little people can’t hurt you.

Try re-framing the problem: be grateful for every (insert singular derogatory term here) you meet, It’s one less person to compete with.

John Anslow
www.ffriar.com

No comments: